Mar 30, 2011

Illapu

Machu Picchu is on my Bucket list

For more years than I can remember, I have loved everything to do with the Andes. The land, the ancient Incan ruins, the people and their culture, and most especially their music. Something happens to my very soul when I listen to this music. One band in particular I have followed for many years. They call themselves Illapu.
A little background info:
Illapu (pronounced ee-YAH-poo), are a Chilean folk and Andean musical ensemble that was formed in 1971, in Northern Chile. Illapu comes from the Quechua word meaning "Lightning Bolt". Their music was Andean folk. In 1981, because of the repression under the Pinochet regime, they were forced into exile - going first to France and later Mexico City. In 1988, due to the improved political climate, they returned to Chile. Their 1993 album (En Estos Días), which contained the hit single "Lejos del Amor", won 7 platinum records. Their novel musical approach and aesthetics on stage gained them the recognition from music critics and praise from the general public.
Here is one of my favourite instrumentals.
Atacameños:
The Atacameños (also called Atacamas or Likan-antay) are a Native American people who inhabited the Andean portion of the Atacama Desert, mainly in what is today Chile's Antofagasta Region. Their language is known as Kunza.

16 comments:

  1. Oooo. I like this. Do you have a link where I can find more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting...Thanks for the education on this group. I never heard of them before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great name, Illapu, (lightning bolt). I will check to see if any of our music shops carry their cds. I'd really enjoy painting with their music playing.

    In Vancouver at the Granville Island Market they feature musicians from Central and South America. Everyone stops shopping to sit on the wooden benches to listen to the music. The kids dance while the adults sway.

    Ah for a trip south to Chile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sprite, among many other amazing places, this is on my list too.
    Thank you for this informative post. *packs imaginary bags*

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sunny, there are heaps of their songs on youtube, and also Amazon have all their albums.
    @Poetess they are really good.
    @Carole I paint to them! lol..
    @Ant Hopefully one day we will get there hey...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh, that first pic is gorgeous!!! Very cool music, too! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeeah. But I weely, weely want to go NOW.
    Replied, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Caren I am determined to go there one day.
    @FriskyV I know isnt it? I like sharing things I love :)
    @Ant I know! I do to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This really would be an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Loach It sure would.
    @Ant yes and replied (Just now)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sprite, back at ya.

    =O.O= (hopping mouse) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. BAHAHA! I LOVE IT! so cute!
    also looks like a Bush Baby

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like that better, Bush Baby it is.

    Do I want to read the Moby/Wren incident? :/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes you do! Nov 30 2010 :)

    mail to.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say :)