Oct 6, 2014

Sue the Subaru

I'm writing this while listening to my Husband and son bash away at a piece of our car. To clarify it's a car we bought from the wreckers and are trying to get it back to road worthy. It's not a bad little car. A Subaru Outback. When we bought it, it had a smoking engine and bald tires, rusty muffler and the driver's side guard has a sizable dent in it....which is what they are bashing at now..in the back yard. 

It was destined for the scrap yard. To be honest I have every confidence in my husband to getting this car back into shape, even the dent. He has done up a lot of cars in the past. So this one was no different. The engine was completely torn down and put back together. ....

So I just had to go outside and inspect their panel beating. They have done a pretty good job. This car project serves a duel purpose. Hubby is using it as a bonding experience with the son. They have had a few issues since son has hit that terrible teenage milestone and they both need to work on their relationship. They have good days and bad. Mostly when hubby gets frustrated a job takes twice as long to do and son storms off in a huff. Or son had plans to sit on his electronics and doesn't want to be under the bonnet of a car... It's a slow process but they are trying.

Another good thing that has come out of this is that Hubby now knows a Subaru engine back to front and is finally going to get me the one I actually wanted.. the 4x4 Forester. YAY!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on he new car(s) and the father/son bonding. If I knew how to fix a car, restoring one would probably be the way to go for me too (emphasis on the "for me" part since my wife is in love the idea of owning a new one.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His dream is to get another '65 xp ute. Sadly he had one but had to sell it when we moved.

      Delete
  2. Sounds likes a great project! Although, I'm the type that would just buy the new car and be done with it. :) Oh, and ... YAY to the Forester! You absolutely MUST post up pics when you bring that beauty home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah we can't afford the brand spankin new car...so we compromise with s**t boxes that we do up:)

      Delete
  3. A creative family can do anything. Together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy for you that you found a new car. My wife and I recently just re-built our trusted Subaru outback and it has treated us well over the years. Cannot think of parting with it just yet. How that things work out for you and you find what you are looking for in that car. Great blog post. Thanks again.

    Byron Walters @ Bob Dunn Subaru

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your story about your battle with this Subaru of yours. My first car was a Subaru just like Sue. Although they are not really the most attractive cars, they are very safe and reliable. I hope that your son and husband are able to get it up and running and on the road because they are really great cars.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say :)